A new version of The Mandate, Mandate V3.6.9 (update 09/2022) has been released. A change log, prepared by Clan 437 (Martin Hall), is included in this issue Clan News for review.
- Added Movement to list of essential elements of Orders.
- Changed so that new starts commencing 10/818 or later cannot attack or be attacked for 18 turns (previously 12),
Changed rules on Elephants moving with Wagons through otherwise inaccessible terrain.
Now can move loaded wagons, but with +50% MP costs (e.g. swamp = 12MP, not 8)
Removed Note 1 (prohibiting same item to be transferred more than once in a turn) – this is legal when using auto orders.
Clarified Note 3, by noting that transfers occur after activities, so items transferred cannot be used during activities.
- Added note that rules under TN2020 will change, increasing number of units at higher Admin levels.
- Clarified that Courier units cannot create other units and cannot be owners of a village.
- Clarified that units under attack cannot be disbanded – combat has to play out first.
- Added that unit which has GT will have weapons and armour allocated by GM from inventory
¶ 3.11 Hirelings, Auxiliaries and Mercenaries
Clarified that code does not automatically transfer Hirelings when their unit is absorbed
Changed Mercenaries to also operate under 1/3 fighting rule.
Fixed typos and clarified procedure for ordering use of Auxiliaries and Hirelings.
¶ 3.13 Locals and Cultural Support
- Clarified that term “settlement” or “local settlement” refers to local support settlements, not player villages or other player- built structures.
- New settlements must be within 8 hexes (previously 20 hexes) of another settlement (or within 20 hexes of home village).
Remove references to “specific” re project for which locals may be hired. Also link to 3.13.5 section
Added option to use element or (if coastal/riverside) fleet instead of garrison for town or city
Changed the formulae for calculating annual benefits from
Local Support Cities with Auxiliaries, Actives and Gold.
Added new rules for Exporters – max 4, continue when City, can nominate choice of 3 commodities (with restrictions).
Clarified that LSS benefits are received in month 01 each year.
- Clarified that D ring settlements will need to satisfy the max 8 hex range limit from other settlements
- Clarified that hired locals can only work on a single project each month, unless the Clan has Commonwealth Territory with Labor Halls.
- Clarified that Garrisons in Settlements are subject to the normal restrictions applying to all Garrisons.
- Added other Clan-built structures to the list of things which can defined the boundary of a Clan’s Commonwealth Territory.
Clarified that clan villages also need to be included in the map of Commonwealth Territory provided to the GM.
Removed requirement for Pacifiers for CT special hexes.
Changed requirement for Governors per CT special hex and associated costs
Hired locals even in CT limited to no more than population of unit (WAI).
Clan structures in CT have 4x normal guards.
- Clan with CT can build Labor Halls (3 levels) to allow locals to be hired in CT locations outside Home City.
- Clarifying that the points here are drafted for manual orders (though many also apply to auto orders). Players are encouraged to transition to auto orders.
Amended to allow Couriers as well as Elements to use Port movement.
Amended to limit each Port to be used by 1 unit per Clan (not 1 unit in total).
Amended so Port hex is No Combat Hex.
- Added weights for Bread and Fish.
- Clarified that gathering fodder is only in PR/GH.
- Clarified that calculating effective Hunters is for manual orders only. For auto orders, enter actual hunters and implements directly.
- Clarified that MH and hence Village can not be built in a Special Hex.
¶ 9.2 Combat and Movement
- Amended #6 of No Combat Hexes, so that elements arriving at or about to depart from a port cannot be attacked.
¶ 9.2.1 Fleets and Combat
- Changed to set out some situations where Fleets and land units may interact
- Added provision for newer clans (< 4 game years) to run up to 8 extra scouts.
Clarified that spy group only spies on 1 unit,
Change: cannot spy vs units of a truced clan,
- Clarified that one question asked per group captured, not per scout. Also, that max 5 scouts in each group can be questioned.
- Added point 6 clarifying that defender with fortifications can choose between field combat or staying in fortifications.
- Clarified that Archers may not carry a shield.
- Overruns affect General (not Combat) Morale.
- Clarified that combat is run through module.
Changed the Naval combat has two phases: ship vs ship, then Warriors vs Warriors.
Point 7 changed: ship damage is assigned separately to the melee resolution.
Changed so that total warriors available to fight are capped at the total def points of the ships in the fleet.
- Added new section on Lifeboats to preserve crew if ships are lost in combat
¶ 11 Combat – Sieging and Assaulting a Village
a) Fortifications help defender only if they stay in them
b) Attacker can only start siege if either the defender stays in fortifications or the attacker wins the field combat.
Clarified that cannot move goods or troops by land in or out of site under siege without defeated besieger.
Added that goods can be moved in or out by water if the besieger has no fleet or it is defeated.
- Clarified that village cannot be built in a Special Hex
¶ 12.2.1 Installation and Substitution of Materials
- Clarified that the auto code expects player to construct base building plus at least 1 item within it (e.g. distillery plus at least 1 still), so need to assign enough effective workers to do this.
¶ 12.9.2 Farming via Maintaining Fields
- Clarified that summer maintenance for each type of permanent crop in a hex must be done in a single month, but different crops can be done in different months.
¶ 14.4 Tobacco and Fair
- Added ability to “Smoke Tobacco” using fair slot to increase General Morale.
Clarifying that barge special movement is naval movement and can only be done by fleets.
Added note that players need to check cargo for fleets, because the code does not.
- Clarified how skills add to ship MP for rowing and sailing.
- Added note that players need to check for access to water before ordering fishing by a unit.
Clarified that all research topics require L10 in the relevant skill and if this is lost, the research and all related benefits are lost. Transfers of level 10 skill (e.g. by Scholar Tribes or when splitting Tribe) must also involve transferring related research and research attempts.
Clarified process around DL0 mercy rule.
- Wording change (resolution for settlement).
- Removed example from point 6, as Grand Caravan is no longer operating.
- Added cross reference to list of Commodities.
- Archaeology Element changed to Courier.
- Added Design skill description.
- Added note requesting that notify GM by email when sending electronic payment.